Friday, January 18, 2008

Nostalgia

There are two places I can go that invoke instant nostalgia on demand. I'm sure there are other places I could go that would do the same but these two places I visit on a regular basis and they never fail to produce. The first is Berkeley. I usually find myself over there once every couple months and it always brings back a good warm feeling. I tell myself while I'm there, I could live here, it's the only place I say that about (I love SF). I also tell myself I should come visit more often, but sadly I don't--I don't really have many reasons to go over there.

The second is a little different, and indirect. I lived in Germany during my second through fourth grade years. One of most memorable things we did there was go to the German public swimming pool. I don't actually recall much about the swimming but I remember we always bought milk ice cream popsicles and salami sandwiches on these little tasty rolls. Also, there were these open air showers that you would get under and pull a little string and a stream of cold water would wash over you. You'd freeze for a second, shake off and then go into the pool. That second of freezing is what is brought to mind when I shower. Robyn hates hair; I lose a lot in the shower, so I always (she'll tell you I don't do it always, but I do try) take the shower head down after I've dried off and spray extra hair away. I use cold water to conserve energy and to invoke this feeling. When the water splashes on my feet I'm there in Germany, a kid again. Maybe it's a little like kicking a soccer ball.

No comments: