Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Imaginary Battle

This morning I was half awake experiencing really great ideas about... I'm not sure what. I recall thinking, "oh that would be awesome in a story." And I couldn't fall back asleep because I kept thinking about this thing. But, at the same time, I knew the idea wasn't sticking, it was there, I'd think about it and then it'd be gone only to return a few seconds later. It was like fighting your way through a tangle of thorn bushes. You push through just enough to realize that you can't continue that way. You change directions ever so slightly and try again. On and on it goes. I know what this feels like because I've done it before, along the San Francisco cliffs. After climbing up a steep face, and nearly killing myself, I was presented with two options: either turn around and nearly kill myself again (really bad option) or continue up the cliff, which was less steep now but full of thorn bushes taller than me (slightly better option). Even though by climbing the cliff below I proved I was equipped to make bad decisions I made a pretty good one here and slowly pushed my way through the thorns. It was painful, it was scary, it knocked some sense into me. Anyway, that's what this morning felt like, but instead of my life I was losing an idea. But trust me, it was a really really great idea.

No comments: