Thursday, December 20, 2007

Holiday Travel

I don't recall ever driving long distances in winter snows. I do recall riding in a car when I was younger but never actually doing the driving. Soon, tomorrow, I'll be making such a trip. Twenty-nine grand years of life and he finally puts himself on a frozen road. I'm a little nervous. I'm hoping the pass separating California from Nevada is mostly clear so I don't have to put chains on the tires. I wish I hadn't sold my all-wheel-drive Subaru to a stunt man.

This reminds me of road trips we took to Idaho while living in Indiana. Crossing the mid-west we saw some amazing thunderstorms. But mostly I remember we had one of those giant family size vans. It was so nice to be able to spread out and sleep in a moving vehicle, not worrying about anything in the world except how many fish I'd catch or how long we'd have to stay at Grandma's smoky house.

Thunder still sparks across those plains. Yes, thunder.

No comments: